3.09.2011

[Outfit of the Day]: Ash Wednesday


Hellllo everyone! I don't know about you guys but I just can't seem to get with it today. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's been raining and gloomy all day or that I didn't get enough sleep last night. Either way, I'm kind of feeling "eh" today. But I did manage to make it to church for Ash Wednesday mass. If you aren't familiar with Ash Wednesday, you can read about it here. In short, it marks the beginning of Lent for us Catholics. On this day, you go to mass and the priest gives you ashes on your forehead as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. Today was also the first time I've gone to church....by myself. Can you believe it? Almost 27 and I've never been to church alone. It's true. I liked it though. I was able to focus more on the readings and everything else. I think I might make this regular practice. Another practice of Lent is generally giving something up. Now most people give up chocolate or pop. And it usually seems that they do this just to lose weight or be healthier. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy but the point is to give up something that will be a sacrifice. Also it's not something you're really supposed to brag about. You have to give up something for you, not just to impress other people. Me? I'm giving up "unnecessary" shopping. So for the next 40 days, no clothes, no shoes, no purses, etc. I am only allowing myself to buy things as I need them such as hair products (only when I run out of what I'm using, nothing new), deodorant, groceries and so on. You get the idea. It's definitely a sacrifice (for me anyway), plus it'll be interesting to see how much money I can save when I'm not doing my weekly Target trips or eBay browsing. I'm kind of excited about it. Here's what I wore to church today:

See my ashes?


Jeans: Kohls (similar here) (and here) (and here)
Sweater: Target (here) (similar here) (and here) (and here)
Shirt: Target (here) (similar here) (and here) (and here)
Boots: Madden Girl (similar here) (and here) (and here - on sale!)
Purse: DeGroot


Accessories:
Watch: American Eagle (similar here) (and here) (and here)
Hamsa bracelet
(here) (and here) (and here)


Hope everyone has a great hump day! And to those of you in this rainstorm, stay dry & be careful!





No comments:

Post a Comment