1.04.2011

Resolutions

I know it's a few days late and I'm really not a "new year's resolutions" type of girl but this is a new year, with new changes ahead and in order for these changes to take place, I need to personally make some changes in my life. It will be hard but I need to focus on the end in sight. It's not easy for me to see a goal through to the end. I always have a hard time seeing the big picture. I'm more of an instant gratification person. This is the year to change all of that though. This is the year to better myself both inside and out. Here's my list of goals for myself this year:


  1. SAVE MONEY. This is a big one. Not only do I have a wedding to plan but I need to move out of my parents house. Yes, I'm 26 and still live at home. I know I'm not the only one but it still makes me feel bad sometimes. I initially moved back home to save money after a bad experience renting an apartment with who I thought was a friend. Long story. I'll spare you the details. Anyway, I've definitely taken advantage of the whole not-having-to-pay-rent thing and instead spent my money on clothes, shoes, purses, make-up...pretty much anything. Sometimes I think I buy things just to buy them. I have considered "getting help" for this but I don't think it's gotten to that point. But I don't intend to let it get there either. I have gotten better in the last few months but I'm still buying things on a whim. And that needs to stop. So from now on, I'm only buying things that I need - basic necessities like shampoo & conditioner, foundation, cat food, etc. I don't need anymore clothes or shoes or purses, that's for sure. And when I do buy my basics they will either be bought on sale or with a coupon - or both!
  2. LOSE WEIGHT. I honestly can't remember that last time I actually worked out and that's sad. And it's not like I've been eating well either. If anything I've been eating worse. Drive-thrus have become a regular for me. Not everyday, but at least once or twice a week. Bad. And being at work doesn't help with food cooking all day - wings, burgers, quesadillas. It's all bad. It's almost impossible to eat healthy at that place. I know packing a lunch wont work 'cause I'll never do it. I can usually do the soup as long as it's nothing like chowder or potato soup. And I'll have to stick with grilled chicken or turkey sandwiches. Boring but like I said, I can't lose sight of the end result. I need to start working out. We have a treadmill and weight machine in our basement with a TV so there's no excuse. I also have a few fitness DVDs that are fun and easy to do. My goal is to lose 25-30 pounds before my birthday (May 15). I can easily make my goal if I lose 5 lbs a month. But then the trick is keeping it off and not slipping back into old routines. But I think once I get into a routine of healthy eating and working and I'm seeing results, I'm not going to want to go back.
  3. GO TO CHURCH MORE OFTEN. Instead of going on major days (Easter, Christmas) and every now and then on a random Sunday. I do enjoy going to church. I always feel much better after going. I'm not a fan of the crowded masses though. I do know the church near me has a noon mass everyday and I've gone a few times in the past and there's usually less than 15 people there which works great for me. I've also never been to church by myself before so I'd like to challenge myself to go and do that for myself at least once a week if not more.
  4. BE MORE INDEPENDENT. For the most part I consider myself to be pretty independent. I have no problem going shopping by myself. However, there are a few things I'd like to branch out and try this year. By myself. Going to a mall (I've gone to shopping centers but never an actual mall), movie, church, restaurant (I have been to Panera once by myself but I sat in a corner and talked on the phone the whole time. Doesn't really count). I have always considered myself a bit of a loner. I'm fine with being alone. But that's usually been in my house. Be alone in public is totally different. There's no one there to talk to, no one to tell me if that shirt actually looks good on me, no one to tell me if I have food in my teeth, and so on. So this year I plan to try and do more things by myself. It can be scary but once you get over that and realize it's so silly to be scared to do something by yourself it's not bad. I was a little nervous about going to this new shopping center when it first opened but now I'm there like every week. 

Those are my few resolutions for the new year. I'd rather call them improvements because each little thing can make me into a better person overall, in my opinion. Though these things might be challenging in the beginning, I'm hoping they will become easier and that at the end of this year I can look back and say "Wow, this year was amazing!"

What are your new years resolutions? Or rather, what improvements do you hope to make personally?

No comments:

Post a Comment